Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Doing the Job Juggling Jig

Break time is over--back to writing, monkey!
Dance, Monkey, Dance!

It's a week of many small assignments for this writer. Multiple articles going out to many sites. So I'm dancing around like a crazed circus monkey, checking guidelines and pivoting from topic to topic. All while juggling dozens of deadlines.

This is what happens when I don't line up better gigs. Not necessarily more enjoyable ones (I do like the topics), or easier, but just better paying. Dropped the ball there, so it's going to take lots of little projects to meet my goals.

I'm going about it in what I prefer to think of as the smart way:
  • Grouping article writing by site, so as to deal with one set of guidelines at a time.
  • Taking advantage of open news beat assignments, for a little topic freedom.
  • Using one main topic and creating separate pieces with different angles, to save on research time.
This way I'm not duct-taped to my desk chair, downing cold caffeinated goodness to keep from passing out on the keyboard. Time management is a struggle, but I'm still fitting in some living. Nothing major, just simple good stuff; like playing with the dogs, talking to my guy, planting day lilies and chit chatting with the neighbors. Sanity-saving stuff.


Are you juggling a lot this week? How do you cope?

Photo credit: Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec, Public Domain / Wikimedia Commons 

7 comments:

  1. I'm ALWAYS juggling a lot. I think I've just gotten used to it. Well, that and I've learned not to sweat the small stuff.

    My “J” post is right here: http://www.word-nerd-speaks.com/2011/04/jackwagon.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a constant juggling act too. It gets stressful but I really do love what I do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. forgot to mention that I found you through the a-z challenge

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think we're all juggling – all the time. Did our parents have this problem? Our grandparents? I drive through neighborhoods sometimes and see people sitting on their porches looking relaxed while I zoom from one appointment to the next or one function to another, all the while thinking about this blog I have to write and the article that I promised. While I enjoy what I do (I also watch my grandchildren every day, all day and have to work through incessant interruptions), I'd like to feel less stressful – and less guilt for not reading EVERYBODY'S blogs and articles. My most recent A-Z blogs are here: http://myheartblogstoyou.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad I found your blog! I'm stopping by from the A to Z challenge and I look forward to reading more from you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes! In fact, this week I'm juggling more than usual. Thanks for the tips, I'm going to try to group my articles by site.

    I’m A-Z Blogging on Langley Writes about Writing and Langley’s Rich and Random Life

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm juggling these four stupid blogs for the challenge, and that's enough! Well that and tending to all the critters.

    Popping in by way of the A-Z Challenge. I’m blogging at:
    Write, Wrong or Indifferent
    Marie Anne’s Missives
    In the Garden With Sow-n-Sow
    Every Day Crochet

    ReplyDelete

Share

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...