Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Enthusiastically Embracing New Writing Endeavors

Yesterday, we talked about diversification, but mainly in terms of writing for someone else. Now I want to focus on our own start-ups, the blogs and websites we enthusiastically create to carve out our own little niches in the world. Out of all the writers I know only a few don't have their own writing endeavors. We're an entrepreneurial lot.

I'm excited about all the writing opportunities we can and do create for ourselves. These passion projects often don't make a dime for months. It doesn't matter. We keep at it because we believe in the idea. We embrace our vision, meld it with our drive and carry the whole shebang out with our storytelling. Sometimes even opening our platforms to other writers' voices.

So, I am sharing  my two newest writing endeavors. They are both still in development stages, but, in the spirit of this blog and to gain some accountability, I feel I should spill the goods.


Pundit This logo.
Pundit This is a political blog (strongly considering turning it into a website). The motto is: "Politics analyzed by the unwashed masses." It's a move over talking heads and let's hear what average Americans have to say on the issues site. It's not party-centric and open to equal amounts of thoughtfulness and fun-poking.

The only thing I have left to do is find a way to entice writers. Maybe link-love or in-text ads. I dunno. What do you think? Hey, better question: Do you want to contribute? Get at me!

Tentative name for the first local news site.
My second project, a local newspaper platform, is larger scale. The goal is to give ample coverage to smaller towns, who don't have a local daily news source. Once a readership is gained, I'm hoping local advertisers come on board. Then staff can be hired.

I'm working on finding the perfect free platform for now (maximum design control and linkable slide shows don't seem to coexist on most platforms), to keep costs down until revenue starts flowing. Spread the word through social media and have a system in place for citizen contributions. This is the hard project. Business permits, tax forms, employees and all that jazz.

Enough about me, what are your passion projects? What stage are you at? What keeps you going? 

Psst...serious about the political blogging. Just let me know.

4 comments:

  1. Oh, right now I don't have time for passion projects, my editor is asking for my edits. However, I love that you're doing this. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My passion right now is for screenplays. I'm currently writing one with a fellow writer. I've won a couple of competitions with loglines and synopses, but never for a full screenplay, so I'm enthusiastically diving in head first. For your Pundit This web site, please contact me with a personal message through Facebook. I have a blog that promotes other blogs. Might help. If you want to check it out, go to yourblogconnection.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I don’t give a hoot about politics (haha!) but I do have quite a few projects going, which is really cool! A buddy and I are even working on a speculative fiction e-zine. Writing is just awesome, and I love just about everything having to do with it. I say just about because there is that editing beast... :P

    ReplyDelete

Share

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...